Monday, October 13, 2008

Lemons

During a Sydney October its sometimes hard to tell if its Spring, Summer or Winter. Take last week for example 35C one day (that's 95f) and 19C the next (60f). Okay, I know, I'm talking about weather, but just bear with me...

So for me there's one main thing that says Winter is over and its Spring. And that's Lemons.

My lemon tree goes mad this time of year producing fruit and flowers at the same time. Go smell a lemon, that's what those flowers smell like. So beautiful.

These are the last of my home grown lemons.

We had an outstanding crop this year. Hubby claims that its because of all the fertilizer the tree is getting. (Yes, its kind-of an Aussie tradition, men drink beer then pee on the lemon tree - I know. I try not to think too hard about that either - I started saying it when I was six and I haven't really changed my opinion - boys are so gross).

Anyhoo, just forgetting the above paragraph, the main thing I do with my surplus lemons is make lemon self-saucing pudding (or Lemon Delicious). This is my recipe. Its awesome (and not as complicated as some out there).

2 eggs
2 lemons
2 tablespoons self raising flour
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sugar
2 cups milk.

Cream the sugar and the melted butter.
Add lemon juice and flour.
Add milk and beaten egg yokes
Whip the egg whites and fold in
Bake in a moderate oven, over a dish of water, for 20 - 30 minutes.
This is a bit like a self-saucing souffle so it should not be cooked too far ahead of time.

1 people love me:

Amanda said...

Oh sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!!! Will be off to try it ASAP!

AK