Sunday, November 30, 2008
I've not used the recipe below before - generally I use Delia Smith's one - But you know, I think I might switch...
1 bottle brandy
2 cups dried fruit
1 cup butter
2 cups nuts
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbl lemon juice
1. Sample the brandy to check quality.
2. Take a large bowl, check the brandy again.
3. To be sure it is the best quality, pour one level cup and drink.
4. Repeat above step.
5. Turn on electric mixer. Beat butter in large fluffy bowl.
6. Add sugar.
7. Beat again.
8. At this point it's best to make sure the brandy is shtill ok.
9. Try another cup………just in case.
10. Turn off the mixerer.
11. Break 2 leggs and add to bowl and chuck in dried fruit.
12. Pick fruit off the floor.
13. Mix on the turner
14. If the dried fruit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a sdrewscriver.
15. Sample the brandy to check for tonsisticity.
16. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. No one will notish.
17. Check the brandy.
18. Now shift the lemon juice & strain your nuts.
19. Add one table. Add spoon of sugar or somefink. Whatever you can find.
20. Greash the oven.
21. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
I know that horrible, terrible things are happening to ordinary nice people. But this morning I woke up to a very sick puppy. Our dog Ella, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, had picked up a paralysis tick. She could barely walk, couldn't blink, was vomiting and having difficulty breathing - clearly in a really bad state. But you know, she could still wag her tail - which is so Ella. She's the cheeriest little soul and no matter how shit everything is she's still upbeat.
So I rushed Ella to the vet, they found the paralysis tick on a back leg and have begun the tick treatment. Cavaliers have a harder time with ticks than other types of dogs, because of their pushed in nose (so the vet tells me), but Ella is very healthy with a good heart, liver and kidneys so she's got the best chance she could have. On the way to the vet, Staying Alive (by John Travolta) came on the radio and I have taken that as a sign she's going to be just fine!
I still want to cry though.
ESFP - The PerformersHmm, well I was sure it was going to say "a sarcastic and surly individual with deep seated indifference and sibling rivalry issues. Do not under any circumstances let this person take care of your children, pets or husband."
The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead - they are always in risk of exhausting themselves.
They enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions.
Especially attuned to pleasure huh? I want to know when the hell that's going to happen. Same for surrounding myself with sweet smells - clearly they have not experienced hubby's feet.
Friday, November 28, 2008
This house has possums on the roof trouble so they've thwarted the little buggers. As one who unwillingly runs a free possum bed and breakfast - I envy these people.
This is the view the houses in the street behind ours have. We have no view. Especially not out the bedroom window where the Murryana hedge has grown so high (read, not been trimmed since our wedding in 2005) as to obscure even the ferals that live across the road.
The local Catholic church has this cross in their garden. I rather like it.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Danger Zone is their all time favourite. They demand I play it over and over at loud volume, with the windows down, and sit in the back yelling "Go faster, go faster." Its hard to go faster in the suburbs where the speed limit is 50kmph.
But, I do my best. So if you see a faintly embarrassed woman belting around the northern reaches of Sydney in a grey four-wheel-drive blasting Playin With the Boys, that'd be me.
The video still makes me grin tho...
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
I KNOW I've banged on about it before, but I've been blogging now for four years. Yes FOUR. And despite my best efforts to give up blogging earlier this year don't seem to have been able to kick the habit, unlike smoking. Yes, I have quit. Been a couple of months now. I love my blog. It brings me endless joy and endless satisfaction that it amuses other people as well.
OKAY. Enough of the gushing. I will now return to my normal sarcastic self...
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I love it when the Jacaranda's are blooming. At work - which is a large university for those of you just tuning in - they say that if the students leave their studying until the Jackies are in bloom then they're up shit-creek. Spring time is also exam time you see, so whoever they are, they have a point. Right now campus is swarming with stressed out students and invigilators. Oh I love the invigilators. They sound so much like they should be toting large scary looking guns or something. The reality is, however, that they're all Enjoying Retirement and probably wouldn't tote anything more full on than a couple of cheese sandwiches and a good book - oh I Don't Know - what the hell do people Enjoying Retirement tote around? Tasers?
Monday, November 24, 2008
The Huggies Car. A toy I foolishly saved up coupons from nappy boxes and then paid $18.75 for.
The child is not the bane of my life, though its a close run thing a lot of the time.
It was cold and wet and horrible on Sunday, so my Marvellous Husband decided it'd be a good idea to get out the Huggies Car. What he didn't realise is that there is a Very Good Reason WHY the Huggies Car was in a small scrumpled up heap wedged behind the old vacuum cleaner where Nobody Would Ever Find It.
Every single time it puts in an appearance the squabbling begins. No amount of negotiating, adjudicating or yelling will put a stop to it. I even tried leaving them to it, but after about forty seconds of shrieking I have a sense of humour failure.
Council clean up day in two weeks and counting...
Went and had coffee with Janine today. Her little boy is the cutest baby I have ever seen. Have told hubby that we should start thinking about having number three - but only so I can see him go all white and fainty at the thought. Heh.
Revenge is sweet.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
"It's a little embarrassing, yes," said the brothel owner, Mr X. "We're sick of all the seedy characters hanging around. But respectable businesses like ours aren't going to be driven out by the likes of them."
Rees moved his office to Best Road in Seven Hills on September 5. A large sign outside the office clearly bears the words: "Member for Toongabbie."
It is understood the local council has received several complaints that the office is bringing down the tone of the neighbourhood.
Complainants include the brothel, a mob of drug-dealing money launderers, an international arms dealer, an arsonist, a gang of slave traders, the crew of a Somalian pirate ship and a merchant banker.
A council insider told The Sun-Herald: "We have to take all complaints seriously. Apart from the merchant banker's, obviously."
Full report here
Saturday, November 15, 2008
After 4,200 words today this is all I'm pretty much capable of...
Actually I remember doing this in a nightclub many years ago. I thought I was the COOLEST!
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
HOWEVER. This time is different because I hurt myself and so have something to complain about. Yes. Was picking up Miss Nearly Three and tore the muscles in my shoulder. Ouch. I actually felt them tear. Anyway, its been bloody agony, so have I been floating about on a cloud of Neurofen Plus (ahh codeine). Its incredibly painful to type - that reach forward movement of my arm is agony - so I haven't been blogging or even doing nanowrimo. Not a thing.
Yes. I have been suffering.
AND NOW I'm not having a very good morning. The kids are being even more feral than usual. I mean seriously evil. Gwyneth Paltrow is presently swanning about on Oprah going on about how she never diets but does work out 2hrs a day 6 days a week (saw the footage, man she sweats) and I am sitting watching with my jeans unbottoned because I porked up so much when the inlaws were here nothing fits except my fat pants (which are in the wash) and I have lunch spilt down my front where my rice paper roll disintergrated. Yes I AM THAT LOVELY.
I'm a bit stuck over the kids though. Miss Nearly Three has been so evil that we've instigated the super nanny naughty chair. And it is working. Well for her anyway. Miss Four thinks the naughty chair is the best fun ever and requests to be allowed to sit on it. Of course I say no. So she goes and bites her sister or something equally horrible so that she gets put on the naughty chair, then sits their (their? their? I can write novels, me. SIGH) grinning. Argh.
Super Nanny never had these problems.
Friday, November 07, 2008
Since Monday I have...
- Lost $10 on the Melbourne cup - my surefire winner picking method (ie choose the horse that matches the locker number I was given at the gym) was apparently not quite as surefire as myself and the blokes in the butchers seemed to think. I was all lined up for a party with the Mother's Group girls, but alas Miss Four slept right through the race, so Miss Two nearly Three and I watched the race. She loved it and we had to watch the racing for the rest of the afternoon - hmm.
- Cooked Leek and Potato soup.
- Had three nights of interrupted sleep; coughing, snoring, bed swapping, rougue christmas beetles, really good book, it all conspired against me.
- Spent the day with my mother
- Watched Obama get elected and even managed to watch some of his acceptance speech live - until the kids realised they were missing the Mr Men anyway.
- Fed my children McDonalds
- Refused to admit I'm getting a cold
- Got a cold
- Invited Janine over next Tuesday
- Wrote a lot of words for Nanowrimo. About 6000. Very happy with that.
- Cooked chicken
- Felt smug about our miniscule credit card debt - it won't last - and was almighty pleased interest rates dropped again. We were pretty much maxed out with the mortgage payments and its making life much easier.
- Came to work, twice. This has included in sitting in three traffic jams and proabably another one tonight. I am over traffic jams. Go Away Traffic.
Yes, another scintillating few days. Sometimes I don't know how I manage.
Monday, November 03, 2008
I came across Margaret and Helen recently. Their perspective on life and current affairs is totally refreshing in a no-holds-barred kind of way.
My fave quote so far...
Now I am an old broad. We didn’t talk about this stuff. I really don’t know why gay people want to get married. It’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Just ask Harold. But I guess if one consenting adult wants to declare their love for another, why would anyone have an issue?Struggling on day three of Nanowrimo, current word count 0. Marvellous. Have been left alone in the house with two litres of full fat milk and 3/4 can of Milo - its not pretty.
Saturday, November 01, 2008
- Its Samhain Publishing's third birthday (and we know how three year olds feel about lollies)
- I'm going to be up on the front page at Coffee Time Romance all of November (howdy to everyone who had made their way here from there)
- I'm embroiled in the insanity that is Nanowrimo (and not doing too badly thus far)
- My husband was over-zealous with the purchasing of lollies for the trick or treaters and I am on a diet (and have nothing in the way of will power)...
I'm having a Aussie lolly giveaway.
Leave a comment on this post, or any others over the next week, and you'll be in the running for a swathe of tooth rotting goodies. Low fat, diabetic friendly options available - yes a jar of vegemite - find out about the culinary loveliness for yourself!!