Sunday, May 17, 2009

I got me some holes!

Okay, I'm excited. The start of my orchard.

I think they're never to young to put to work.So that's the front yard and Louise-next-door's house is the yellow one behind hubby. Oh and ring of sticks around the dog is marking out where part of the path will be.

We're putting in five dwarf apples, a cherry and an almond tree - both dwarf as well. And an espaliered pear hedge behind hubby.

So in about five years or so my boring-as front lawn is going to be covered in fruit trees looking like this...That's an espaliered quince courtesy of http://www.diggers.com.au. There will also be a strawberry patch, an asparagus patch, rhubarb, avocado trees instead of the horrible hibiscus, and even a raspberry/blackberry patch instead of the murryana hedge.

Yup, not a blade of grass in sight. The possums will be in heaven.

In a few years. Hopefully.

1 people love me:

Rachael Johns said...

Yay for the orchard!! Just one question... is it an actual real cherry tree? If so you'll need another one to pollinate me thinks. At least that's why everyone tells me I have two cherry trees alongside each other in my garden, but I'm not a gardener AT ALL and they were the only trees already there when we moved in... so I could be completely WRONG!!