Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Homemaking? I does it well.

Had an absolutely frantic couple of days getting through my lists of ToDos.  I haven't made it through the whole list of course, just been doing the things that will keep this boat afloat, and me not totally embarrassed in my Uni lecture.

Of course it all hasn't gone to plan.  My most major disaster has been bread rolls.  The first batch I made were paragons of light fluffiness which I had to whack into the oven before they rose out of the pan and went everywhere.

The second batch I made yesterday were not.

They were small and bullet like and the best use we could come up with was to put them in a sock and send them into kindi with Miss 5 as a self-defence weapon. Oh kidding. We'd only send them with Miss 4.

My yeast failed.  Well okay, my yeast failed because it was a THOUSAND YEARS OLD and I should've known better. Do not use old yeast people.

My second most major disaster was the icing on the banana cake I made. Goddamm frickin too hard butter going all lumpy in the mixture and then not magically smoothing out when I put it on the cake. Goddammit.

Has enough icing sugar to taste good but.

Cakes have never been my forte and now that I live with an oven which has two settings of Too Hot and Far Too Farking Hot, most of the baking I do requires icing to cover where I cut the charred bits off.  sigh.

Third worst disaster was the casserole I made.  Dragged out the slow cooker and flung in all sorts of things from the fridge - including a little bit of leftover cooked angel-hair spaghetti.  I kind-of thought that after around nine hours of cooking that the spaghetti would've melted away, but NO. It remained and caused the children to screech WORMS, WOOOOOORRRRMMMMSSS.  And then refuse to eat anything.

Also I already blew the weekly budget at the supermarket and now we've run out of dishwasher powder.  Am going to steal money from my children to cover it.  I mean there are limits.

:)

5 people love me:

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

I am not giggling at your misfortunes! Honestly I'm not....well maybe just a little! ;-D

Anonymous said...

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

Are you laughing yet?

Rachael Johns said...

You are hilarious!! And the fact you're attempting all this domesticity shows you're so much more woman than I am!

Unknown said...

Oh I am laughing!! No really :) My total and utter homemaking failures endlessly amuse me.

Rach, you've got three kids, so that makes you most woman!!

Caitlyn Nicholas said...

Oh I am laughing!! No really :) My total and utter homemaking failures endlessly amuse me.

Rach, you've got three kids, so that makes you most woman!!