Thursday, July 01, 2010

Twilight Beach Walks

Thanks to everyone who commented on yesterday's post.  It makes it easier to know that I'm not the only one, that at least I haven't gone sprinting down the street in my nightie (yet), and that my last resort of getting a tether to keep Miss 4 close is not as draconian as it might seem.

Yesterday the whole situation was brought into heart-stopping focus. And whilst there was no harm done, and I promised myself I'd let it go, I find myself in the midst of a lot of what-ifs right now.  We were walking along the cliff top walkway at Caves Beach and came to the lookout. The kids, seeing the lookout, sprinted ahead (me calling after them to no avail), and scuttled over the low wall.  I realised immediately that beyond the small grassed area they had landed on, there was nothing but thin air and a twenty metre drop onto rocks.  I called for them to come back, and thank christ, they both stopped dead and came back to me right away, so I could calmly get them back over the wall and point out the danger.  They were both quite shaken when they realised and stayed close after that.

So, as I said, no harm done and maybe it brought home my point that they need to stay close to stay safe when we are in places that are new to us.  Now I just have to stop imagining worst case scenarios and we can put it behind us.

sigh.

Despite this we did have a lovely afternoon in Swansea.  Caves beach was clear, still and freezing cold.  The sunset was stunning and for the first time Hubs and I felt like we were getting a break.  (I have got my sticky hands onto hubs iPhone and now that I've figured out how to stop photographing my own finger, I finally have some half decent photos to post).

Well, maybe the horizon doesn't tilt quite like that, but I never claimed to be anything but haphazard.

And of course, no matter what, they can always lean on their dad (awww).
We had dinner at Swansea RSL (very nice btw), and drunken hussy that I am, I had 3/4 of a glass of Red Wine and was positively pissed as a nit.  I know, am shocked at self.  Had better be careful or all this seat-of-pants living will take its toll and I'll end up being arrested for drink driving when I pick up the kids from school.  Yes. All down hill from here.

Sigh.

3 people love me:

greenfumb said...

I was thinking that teenagers were the worst thing that could happen to a person, I had forgotten about all those heart stopping moments.

The Little Devil aged about 7 once left her dad at CurlCurl pool to return to me on the beach.

When her dad returned without her we had to get the lifeguards and everyone on the beach to look for her. Except for me who had a panic attack and complete hysterics.

Turned out she fancied a bit of boogie boarding on the way and some moronic surfers were helping her get onto the board MILES out.I'd have killed them if I had known who they were.

The Webbers living a life at the beach said...

You're a parent, we always think of worst case scenarios. My now 18 years old calls me a nana!! Cheeky git! Oh and 3/4 of a glass = piddled! Yer a lightweight! lol

Quixotic said...

Sometimes a close shave and a good scare can be the best lesson. We had a similar thing happen when Hannah went through a bolting stage, now she gets upset if I move off too quickly for her to grab my hand!!! Sigh.. can't win.