Friday, July 15, 2011

Skeins to Balls

 Was out at the wonderful Wool Inn in Penrith yesterday, and picked up some on-sale skeins of 100% cotton for knitting dishcloths.

Headed back to Mums where we dug out her contraption for winding skeins of wool into balls...
Sort of like a bizarre mini hills-hoist
 You place your skein thus...
Its school holidays, this is how I amuse myself in school holidays
 And then proceed to swear and weep as it tangles itself up, falls off because you have it too loose, won't wind into a ball because you have the winder thingy too close, and generally makes a Nuisance of itself.
Skein in mid-fall-off
After the kids got back from feeding the cattle they helped as well - Yay.

Still it was worth it in the end.  Dainty... erm... well... roundish balls of cotton ready to be knitted into a plethora of dishcloths for various gifts etc.

:)

4 people love me:

Joy George said...

I love those "contraptions" (for the want of another word) that make wool winding easier. I wind my skeins with a wooden one but I don't have a ball winder, have to do that by hand.
Why does your comment page show my real name and not that of my Blogger name? Hmmm, I'll have to work on that one.
Cheers Joy (aka Olive)

Caitlyn Nicholas said...

Hi Olive :) Is is picking up your name from your gmail account?? (You can change the display name in google if you need to, under account/email addresses username). Or have you made another comment in disqus using Joy? That sort of thing is so annoying. I have the same problem with Caitlyn Nicholas and Tory (my real name), and get around it by only commenting using the one web browser (safari) and keeping all the Tory stuff in another (chrome).

My mother is the contraption queen, she haunts ebay and is at all the craft fairs (she's involved with Machine Knitters NSW) where she finds a lot of things as well. :)

Mel said...

I love the colors.

Sue Webber said...

Worra load of lovely balls luv! ♥