Thursday, August 04, 2011

Kitchen Alchemy - Sourdough (again)

Sourdough starters and I do not get on.  I invariably end up with with a bowl of glue.  Glue that smells of yeast. But, glue.

So, being a glutton for punishment, and in the mood for a spot of fermentation, when I came across this recipe for a starter at 52 loaves, I decided to give it a try.

After fermenting my apple for a few days, I gathered the ingredients...
The Ingredients
 And stirred them all together...
Oh look, glue
This was done a week ago, and since then I have been faithfully feeding my starter, caring for it, loving it, talking to it, and even sniffing it.

And I am now proud to announce that, I have a bowl of runny glue that smells of fermenting apples.  No, that baby is not going to be raising anything, it can barely produce bubbles.

FTW. sigh.

Back to the packet yeast.

2 people love me:

Sami Lee said...

First I've seen the new look. LOVE it!

Simply Belinda said...

well, I have starter over here.  feel free to email me if you would like me to dehydrate some and post it your way.  It's not as hardcore as cultivating your own yeasties but at least this way you get to try working with sourdough  :-)

Kind Regards
Belinda