Friday, June 22, 2012

A Perfect Hot Chocolate

This is how I make hot chocolate.  Its often known as French Hot Chocolate or Chocolat Chaud.

Trust me, once you've tried it, you will never, ever drink milo again.

Slow Method:

1 ½ cups whole milk
2 ½ Tbsp. water
2 ½ Tbsp. brown sugar
3 oz. lindt chocolate, (milk, dark or both) bashed into bits


In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, water, and sugar.
Place over medium heat and whisk occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture just to a boil.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the chocolate.
At this point, blend the mixture. If you have an immersion blender, you can do this directly in the saucepan; if not, you’ll need to transfer it to a traditional blender. Either way, blend for 1 minute (on high speed, if using a traditional blender - and take care(!), as hot liquids expand when blended). The finished mixture should be very smooth and frothy.

This recipe is adapted from: http://orangette.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/from-this-day-forth.html

Blending
Quick Method:

Microwave milk until hot (about 1 minute for a mug)
Add lindt chocolate - I use both milk and dark
Microwave for another minute (don't boil it over, messy)
Stir
Lick spoon (mind its hot)
Drink
Serve in beautiful cups
It will make your children love you more.

:)

There's another variation of this recipe HERE



6 people love me:

Joy George said...

YUMMO !!! I'm going to try this....I'm drooling already :))

Pip said...

I managed to wean us off drinking Milo because we were drinking too much of it - but I suppose in the interests of testing this recipe I will have to try it out this weekend, I've only got low-fat milk so hope it will work with that,(I'm sure it will) bu I do have plenty of chocolate, (6 big bars or more at last count) - it could be a long weekend of testing :)

TomJTaylor said...

http://goo.gl/je2mv

Keziah Hill said...

Ok off to the shops I go to get some Lindt. this looks amazing. 

Ca4ole said...

Lovely use of chocolate.  It would be super if you linked this post in
to
Food on Friday
: Chocolate

Ca4ole said...

Great that you linked in, thanks.